Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Togolese President Here.. Road-Blocks There...!!!

Togolese President, Faure Essozimna Gnassingbe, arrived in Accra on Tuesday August 25, 2009 for a two-day official visit during which he is expected to visit some industrial and energy project sites.

During his visit, the Togolese president and his delegation would hold bilateral discussions with President John Atta Mills on a number of issues including strengthening of ties, cross border concerns, trade and energy.

I have a question on mind and I want some answers. How does his visit affect the general lives of the common Ghanaian on the street....?

Waking up Tuesday morning at around 0600GMT and leavingthe house at 0625GMT, I was greeted with a heavy traffic just around the Tetteh Quarshie Roundabout heading towards Airport.

This particular traffic jam wasn't the normal one I used to see when going to work every morning. I asked about it, only to be told; because of President Faure Gnassingbe's visit, all major roads linking the Akuafo Interchange popularly known as [37] and other roads linking the airport was closed to vehicular traffic as part of security measures towards President President Faure Essozimna Gnassingbe’s visit to the country...

Me, been the common Ghanaian, an accraboy for that matter had to resort to finding other routes to work. I humbly advised the vexed tro-tro driver to try using the road in front of Aphrodisiac Nite Club and National Service Secretariat; so we could either join the Alliance Francaise d' Accra link..

Trust me, that road was also heavily packed with cars since most had no option than use that one too.

Did the Ministry of Information properly broadcast news about the Togolese President's visit? How many days before was this news item carried out? Did most media houses carried this news article just as they did for President Obama when he was visiting? Are you thinking, what I'm thinking...??"

I checked my time-piece on my wrist and it reads, 0848GMT. Whaaaaaat....? I have been in traffic for this long hours? Well, I couldn't do much than just sit in the rickety tro-tro which moves about one-quarter a minute.

Some passengers who couldn't wait anymore and had waited in the traffic for hours had to alight and make the rest of the journey on foot. Come listen to the curse-words coming from these passengers. You wouldn't want to hear..

To me, the situation have been the same since President Obama visited Ghana some months ago till now. The situation is and always poorly been managed by the so-called policemen/women on duty..

The Ministry of Information and the Police Administration should take this up and treat it with all seriousness because, it seems as if the big people up in government don't really care about the plight of the ordinary Ghanaian. Yes, they don't care a whooat. Let me know, if you think they care... They only care for their families and their pockets..

Next time a visiting dignitary is coming to Ghana [Ogyankrom], information should be sent out earliest for people to be informed about the road-blocks, the various affected routes and many more..

I don't know think, you'll like to know the very time I got to my company premises... I haven't been that late to work in my life than that day..

Well, I can rest my case here....!!!

photo-credit: wikipedia.org

No comments: