Wednesday, March 31, 2010

April Fools' Day - To Fool or Be Fooled.


Tomorrow is 1st April - April Fool's Day…!  If somebody does a practical joke or hoax on you on this day, don't get mad nor feel embarrassed because whoever that person is (or yourself) has a perfect excuse - its April Fool’s Day!
Before I started writing this post, I kept asking my colleagues at work about the origin of this day and what actually happens but couldn’t gather much information from them ad they don't really pay much attention to this in the past years.

Traditionally, in some countries, such as the UK and South Africa the jokes only last until noon, and someone who plays a trick/joke after noon is called an “April Fool”.  In Canada, France, Ukraine, Russia, The Netherlands and some parts of the US, the jokes last all day.

The news about the recent earthquake which was rumored to be hitting Ghana and made a lot of Ghanaians slept in the open space for hours; surely is a perfect prank on April Fool’s Day. David Ajao's post; Earthquake scare in Ghana. Is Ghana prepared? and Ethan Zuckerman's post; The Ghanaian Earthquake Hoax on the Hoax stories explained more, though. What happened to the one who caused that prank? Let’s see more pranks from you tomorrow..!

A good April Fools’ Day prank needs good planning, so get on it! Don’t just go abusing people if you don’t know what to do. I came across this link which has a few positive and non-abusive pranks you can play on your colleagues, friends and even families.

In Ghana, how do people celebrate this day? Do you agree we skip it tomorrow and spare each other from lame practical jokes and fake drama? Have you ever played a prank on your friends/families during last year’s April Fool’s Day? Do you mind sharing your views on April Fool’s Day in Ghana? How would you celebrate this day?

Photo Credit: Getty Images

3 comments:

Juanita said...

hmm Ghanaians and April Fool's day. I think we er kind of need to educate ourselves more. As a kid, on April Fool's day, someone came up and hit me, screaming April fool's day! I mean WTF? hehe how I fumed!

Unknown said...

I totally got fooled this year by someone playing a prank. I had no idea. I forgot what day it was!

Emefa Tamakloe said...

Hmmmm, you don't want to know what happened to me that day. My friends packed everything from my room and left my only bikini hanging on the wall after they had deceived me, my mother urgently wanted to see me. I left for Kasoa & came back to meet an empty room.. lol