Saturday, January 31, 2009

My Passion, My Sport, My Basketball...

Basically, I’m just happy to be here right now, sitting behind my pc and writing on my fave sport, basketball. I'm far from nocturnal... sleeping just isn't my thing. As of right now, I have gone 38 hours without sleeping. weird huh?

I have great passion for basketball and this reflects on how, I wouldn't miss any NBA or FIBA game on TV. I am a great fan of both LeBron James of the Cleveland Cavaliers and KoBe Bryant of the Los Angeles Lakers but yester  ite, they were not in action. Rather it was the Boston Celtics playing the Detroit Pistons in their home. 

I stayed glued to my set as I saw the Celtics thrash out Detroit in their home. Detroit's new signing, Allen "The Answer" Iverson, scored 19pts. The game nearly got marred when Celtics Kendrick Perkins knocked Detroits Jason Maxiell sending him straight unto the hardwood. Perkins later, had to be sent away after a review from the camera's showed his flagrant foul.  That reminded me of Ron Artest's fight whiles with the Indiana Pacers. The final score after the 4th Quarter was 86 - 78 for the Celtics.

Even though, basketball in Ghana is not given much attention like the other sports, there is a small community in Ghana who will stop whatever they are doing to watch a basketball game in action. They believe, Ghana has talents that needs to be cupped for any international competitions. 

Last year, saw Choice Fm organising an Inter-School Basketbal Tourney for the High School students at the Aviation Social Centre in Accra. I just hope, the new government works out something for the promotion of basketball in Ghana. There are some old men out there, who really have passion for the game and are wiling to sponsor but because, its not much promoted, they've also relaxed on their money. This thing is making most talents go waste. 

Every Saturday mornings and Sunday evenings, If I happen to be at home and not on one of my usual road trips, I would definitely be at the University of Ghana Campus, playing hoops and just trying to stay in form as usual. 

The NBA Playoffs are here again and all my crazy baller friends are making up list of who's going to be picked for both sides, that's The West and East Conferences. 

Last week on ESPN, the starters for this year's 2009 NBA All-Star Game in Phoenix were announced. And, predictably, they were pretty predictable: Dwyane Wade, Allen Iverson, Dwight Howard, LeBron James and Kevin Garnett in the East, whiles the West features players like Kobe Bryant, Chris Paul, Yao Ming, Tim Duncan and Amare Stoudemire. 

Well, I have to get going now. Just feel free and tell me, what you think about the future of basketball in Ghana and what can be done to hype the promotion and ressurection of basketbal. How do you see this years All Star Games and who's gonna be the MVP and all. Lemme read your comments on this. 

Keep ballin' ya'll. I'm outta of here for now.!!!!

No comments: